Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recycled Robot


Do you ever enter your child's world?  I sometimes find myself helping Short Daughter to care for a brood of imaginary puppies, small enough to fit on the palm of her hand.  We have to search the house when they go missing and I know I'm in 'the zone' when I actually find them and together we call them out from under the bed or behind the couch.

Sometimes she enters my world: 'Mummy, don't forget we have to take the books back to the library today.'

Crafting is a world we can share.  We each contribute ideas and effort, we communicate, and seek each other's feedback at every stage.  This may not look much like a robot to you, but we set out to make a robot and this is what we made.  Therefore it's a robot.

The body is a juice carton with a piece of cardboard from a cereal box curved over the top to make the head.  Both these pieces could have been painted, but I find that Mod Podging a piece of construction paper is quicker and better hides the printing underneath.

For the arms;
tape together strips of coloured construction paper until you have two long strips...
Hold one strip in each hand and bring the ends together at a 60 degree angle, right end on top of left end.
Fold left strip over right strip.
Fold right strip over left strip.
Fold right strip over left strip.
Keep folding in this  pattern until the strips are used up.
A bit of sticky tape at each end will hold the ends secure.

I would have liked to make the mouth squarer, but this crescent of green from that morning's project was too obviously 'mouth-like' to pass up.  I cut four little rectangles of orange paper, then cut them in half with pinking shears.  I love the way you can see that the upper and lower teeth would go together.
Inspiration for this came from her robot t-shirt


No comments:

Post a Comment