Friday, September 24, 2010

Unruly Mediums




So you're thinking "If my kitchen looked like that, I wouldn't be posting it on the internet".

One of my golden rules for creating with toddlers is 'Don't let them near anything you can't wash off anything'.  It might wash off your worktop but what happens when they get it on their hands then fall off their chair? Yep. Straight onto the rug.

Sounds obvious I know, but it is a slightly different approach to 'mess'.  For example, you might think of glitter as 'messy', but it vacuums up nicely.  And I'm a big fan of Crayola products - their paints and textas (markers) come off everything with just a damp cloth.  Even after you've had a cup of tea to calm yourself down and taken some photos for posterity.

Stickers come off most fabrics pretty well. The paper ones are the worst - actually requiring scrubbing to get off vinyl floors or surfaces. I hate scrubbing floors on my hands and knees!

Food colouring is just messy!  Not that I don't use it; it's great fun.  But do be aware that it will stain everything if you give it a chance.


 Now let's have a closer look at my kitchen stools.
The blank piece of pink paper on the floor is where these stickers were supposed to go (whilst Mummy had a shower).  The mark above her right eyebrow is two-day-old face paint (not Crayola brand obviously) that will NOT scrub off.  I cropped out the white paint that I didn't know was on the side of the stool untill I edited the photo - I think I've incriminated myself enough for one posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment